The 1910 Jail has been a landmark in Edinburg since the city’s founding. It is also the foundation upon which the Museum of South Texas History was built.
While recent renovations should ensure a solid future for the jail, museum staff is always trying to remember the past as well. Development of the new exhibit space in the jail is underway, and the museum is looking for help from the public.
If anyone has any items related to the original jail, please contact the museum. This would include photos, newspaper articles, artifacts and architectural plans. The jail was in operation from 1910-1922 so this is the time period that will be the primary focus for exhibits. Anyone with information or donations should contact museum archivist Kelly Francis-Love at 956-383-6911 or email@example.com.
About Museum of South Texas History
The Museum of South Texas History is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. It is located in downtown Edinburg at 200 N. Closner Blvd. on the Hidalgo County Courthouse square. Hours of operation are from 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday and 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Tuesday–Saturday. Founded in 1967 as the Hidalgo County Historical Museum in the 1910 Hidalgo County Jail, the museum has grown over the decades through a series of expansions to occupy a full city block. In 2003, following the completion of a 22,500 square foot expansion, the museum was renamed the Museum of South Texas History to better reflect its regional scope. Today, the museum preserves and presents the borderland heritage of South Texas and Northeastern Mexico through its permanent collection and the Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives and exhibits spanning prehistory through the 20th century. For more information about MOSTHistory, including becoming a FRIEND, visit MOSTHistory.org, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and find us on YouTube or call +1-956-383-6911