As the Museum of South Texas History’s 1910 Jail renovations come to an end, the new Hidalgo County Courthouse will begin construction. It’s a sign of life’s progress. But, how much has changed in the city of Edinburg? You can find out by visiting at the new temporary exhibit, “Edinburg: Then and Now,” to open Saturday, Nov. 17, 2018, at 10 a.m. at the Museum of South Texas History in Edinburg.
This temporary exhibit, which was designed by Senior Historian Tom Fort and Associate Education Officer Joseph Fox, features side-by-side comparisons between historic photos of early buildings in Edinburg and recent photos showing what these sites are today. These photos include: the Lipscomb building (once a dry goods store on today’s Cano Street), school buildings such as the 1915 Edinburg High School (now on Edinburg CISD’s main administration campus), churches like the Sacred Heart Catholic Church (on 16th Avenue and Kuhn Street), First Baptist Church (formerly on Samano Street and East Champion) and many more. The crown jewel of the exhibit is a 1925 panoramic photo taken from the top of the Cook-Everett building, which perfectly captured the town of Edinburg and the surrounding countryside. This picture was recreated for the exhibit using a camera attached to a drone, and it showcases changes that have occurred over 100 years of the All-America City’s existence. The exhibit will be presented in the Classroom gallery.
On opening day of the “Edinburg: Then and Now” exhibit, the public is welcome to enjoy a walking tour of downtown Edinburg that will start at 8 a.m. Please meet in the museum’s north parking lot ten minutes before. At 10 a.m., the museum will open its doors to Free Saturday Morning, allowing the community to enjoy free admission to the museum and all of its exhibits. Museum visitors are welcome to attend a short multimedia presentation about “Edinburg: Then and Now” exhibit followed by a tour of the exhibit. The exhibit will remain open to the public in the Classroom gallery until mid-2019.
About Museum of South Texas History
The Museum of South Texas History is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. It is located in downtown Edinburg at 200 N. Closner Blvd. on the Hidalgo County Courthouse square. Hours of operation are from 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday and 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Tuesday–Saturday. Founded in 1967 as the Hidalgo County Historical Museum in the 1910 Hidalgo County Jail, the museum has grown over the decades through a series of expansions to occupy a full city block. In 2003, following the completion of a 22,500 square foot expansion, the museum was renamed the Museum of South Texas History to better reflect its regional scope. Today, the museum preserves and presents the borderland heritage of South Texas and Northeastern Mexico through its permanent collection and the Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives and exhibits spanning prehistory through the 20th century. For more information about MOSTHistory, including becoming a FRIEND, visit MOSTHistory.org, like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter, find on Google+ or call +1-956-383-6911.