Returning for another special Sunday Speaker Series presentation is Jesus Correa, a local historian from Starr County. In the early 19th century, Spain’s Northern Provinces, which are now Texas, were under strict government control and chafing under Spanish rule. The Gutiérrez-Magee Expedition would profoundly impact that relationship. Correa will discuss the expedition’s documented history in his Spanish-speaking presentation, “Gutierrez-Magee Expedition 1812-1841,” on Sunday, Aug. 19, at 2 p.m. at the Museum of South Texas History.
Early in August 1812, Bernando Gutiérrez de Lara, a representative from the San Antonio area, seeking to free Mexico from Spain’s control, and Lt. August Magee, who was stationed in Fort Jessup in Louisiana, led an expedition into Texas. This expedition included easy captures of towns such as Nacogdoches but, also, unforeseen defeats and executions. Learn more about this expedition that also included the Battle of Medina in 1813.
Correa’s works have been previously published in the “History of Ciudad Miguel Aleman, Tamaulipas” (2002), “A History of Christopher Columbus” (2005) and “The History of Roma, Texas” (2009). Currently, copies of his book, “The Stories of Starr County,” are available for purchase at The Museum Store.
Sunday Speaker Series is included in the fee for regular museum admission. FRIENDS of the MOSTHistory are admitted free as a benefit of FRIENDship.
This program is made possible with generous support from the Carmen C. Guerra Endowment. Mrs. Guerra was deeply committed to supporting educational opportunities in the Rio Grande Valley. This named endowment was created at the museum by her family to honor her memory and to continue her commitment to providing opportunities for education to the community.
About Museum of South Texas History
The Museum of South Texas History is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. It is located in downtown Edinburg at 200 North Closner Boulevard on the Hidalgo County Courthouse square. Hours of operation are from 1 p.m.–5 p.m. Sunday and 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Tuesday–Saturday. Founded in 1967 as the Hidalgo County Historical Museum in the 1910 Hidalgo County Jail, the museum has grown over the decades through a series of expansions to occupy a full city block. In 2003, following the completion of a 22,500 square foot expansion, the museum was renamed the Museum of South Texas History to better reflect its regional scope. Today, the museum preserves and presents the borderland heritage of South Texas and Northeastern Mexico through its permanent collection and the Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives and exhibits spanning prehistory through the 20th century. For more information about MOSTHistory, including becoming a FRIEND, visit MOSTHistory.org, like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter, find on Google+ or call +1-956-383-6911.