Did you know there is a historic house in Mission that was once owned by a United States presidential candidate? Join the Sunday Speaker Series Online presentation titled “History of The Bryan House” featuring Ariel P. King on Facebook Live at 2 p.m. on June 28.
The Bryan House was built in 1909 by American politician William Jennings Bryan after his third run for presidency. Bryan ultimately left Mission and his farmhouse and farm were used until 1989 by the Buckley and Council family. The house was purchased by Ariel and Frank King in December of 2014. It is currently being used as a bed and breakfast, social event center, photographic opportunity, nature hub and heritage tours.
William Jennings Bryan was a supporter of the American farmer and the Rio Grande Valley’s reputation for fertile land was marketed strongly across the Midwest. Bryan purchased 160 acres from John Conway while serving as U.S. Secretary of State under Woodrow Wilson. King’s presentation will feature historic views and stories of The Bryan House.
The presentation will be streamed at facebook.com/MOSTHistory/live. Guests are encouraged to interact with the presenter by posting questions and comments on the live chat. The video will also be recorded and posted for public access on the Museum’s Facebook page and website.
This program is made possible by the generous support from the Carmen C. Guerra Endowment. Mrs. Guerra was committed to educational causes in the Rio Grande Valley. This named endowment was created by her family to honor her memory and to continue providing educational opportunities for the community.
About Museum of South Texas History
The Museum of South Texas History is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. It is located downtown Edinburg at 200 North Closner Boulevard on the Hidalgo County Courthouse square. Hours of operation are Sunday 1 p.m.–5 p.m. Sunday and Tuesday-Saturday 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Founded in 1967 as the Hidalgo County Historical Museum in the 1910 Hidalgo County Jail, the museum has grown over the decades through a series of expansions to occupy a full city block. In 2003, following the completion of a 22,500 square foot expansion, the museum was renamed the Museum of South Texas History to better reflect its regional scope. Today, the museum preserves and presents the borderland heritage of South Texas and Northeastern Mexico through its permanent collection and the Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives and exhibits spanning prehistory through the 20th century. For more information about MOSTHistory, including becoming a FRIEND, visit MOSTHistory.org, like us on Facebook and Instagram, follow on Twitter, find on YouTube or call +1-956-383-6911.