Robert Ramirez, the grandson of the first Hispanic mayor of Edinburg, will present “Ranch Life in Hidalgo County After 1850” during the Sunday Speaker Series Aug. 5 at 2 p.m. at the Museum of South Texas History.
The book, “Ranch Life in Hidalgo County After 1850,” is compiled of oral histories conducted by Emilia Schunior Ramirez, a well-known teacher, education administrator and college Spanish professor in the Rio Grande Valley. Schunior Ramirez interviewed her parents and other relatives who lived on nearby ranches. Her manuscript was written to be part of a larger book that would highlight the heritage of ranch life in Hidalgo County but the project fell through.
In 1971, Schunior Ramirez’s son, Alfonso R. Ramirez, who had founded New Santander Press, was able to publish his mother’s manuscript. About 40 years later, Ramirez’s son, Robert Ramirez, published the second edition with additional resources such as a new appendix relating to ranch history, news accounts and biographies of the Ramirez family. The book has become a valuable research tool for South Texas writers and historians.
Following the presentation, guests can purchase a copy of “Ranch Life in Hidalgo County After 1850” at the Museum Store, to which Ramírez will be pleased to add his personalized autograph.
Sunday Speaker Series is included in the fee for regular museum admission. FRIENDS of the MOSTHistory are admitted free as a benefit of FRIENDship.
This program is made possible with generous support from the Carmen C. Guerra Endowment. Mrs. Guerra was deeply committed to supporting educational opportunities in the Rio Grande Valley. This named endowment was created at the museum by her family to honor her memory and to continue her commitment to providing opportunities for education to the community.
About Museum of South Texas History
The Museum of South Texas History is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. It is located in downtown Edinburg at 200 North Closner Boulevard on the Hidalgo County Courthouse square. Hours of operation are from 1 p.m.–5 p.m. Sunday and 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Tuesday–Saturday. Founded in 1967 as the Hidalgo County Historical Museum in the 1910 Hidalgo County Jail, the museum has grown over the decades through a series of expansions to occupy a full city block. In 2003, following the completion of a 22,500 square foot expansion, the museum was renamed the Museum of South Texas History to better reflect its regional scope. Today, the museum preserves and presents the borderland heritage of South Texas and Northeastern Mexico through its permanent collection and the Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives and exhibits spanning prehistory through the 20th century. For more information about MOSTHistory, including becoming a FRIEND, visit MOSTHistory.org, like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter, find on Google+ or call +1-956-383-6911.