What stories can you find six feet deep? How do stories from more than 130 years ago echo today? Discover the stories Esther Camacho will present with “Hidalgo Cemetery 1884: Hidalgo’s Hidden History” during the Sunday Speaker Series at the Museum of South Texas History on Sunday, April 8, at 2 p.m.
This presentation will cover the history of the 130-year-old cemetery and the stories of several past Hidalgo residents interred there. Famous individuals include Elder B. Barton who fought in the Battle of San Jacinto, Jose Luis Martinez who was killed in the 1989 USS Iowa explosion and Franciso (Panch) Garza who planned on killing John Closner. Stories of early Rio Grande Valley pioneers such as William & Charles Schunior, John Savage, Andres E. Chavez and Alberto P. Tagle will also be shared.
Camacho is a reference librarian with the McAllen Public Library where she conducts genealogy classes. She has made presentations to different groups including the Renaissance Club at the McAllen Country Club, Las Villas del Norte Genealogy Group and the 37th annual Texas State Hispanic Genealogical and Historical Conference. As the library’s coordinator of local history and genealogy, Camacho has started a successful monthly “Valley Roots Series” at the McAllen Public Library regarding Rio Grande Valley history.
Sunday Speaker Series is included in the fee for regular museum admission. FRIENDS of the Museum are admitted free as a benefit of FRIENDship.
This program is made possible with generous support from the Carmen C. Guerra Endowment. Mrs. Guerra was deeply committed to supporting educational opportunities in the Rio Grande Valley. This named endowment was created at the museum by her family to honor her memory and to continue her commitment to providing opportunities for education to the community.
About Museum of South Texas History
The Museum of South Texas History is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. It is located in downtown Edinburg at 200 North Closner Boulevard on the Hidalgo County Courthouse square. Hours of operation are from 1 p.m.–5 p.m. Sunday and 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Tuesday–Saturday. Founded in 1967 as the Hidalgo County Historical Museum in the 1910 Hidalgo County Jail, the museum has grown over the decades through a series of expansions to occupy a full city block. In 2003, following the completion of a 22,500 square foot expansion, the museum was renamed the Museum of South Texas History to better reflect its regional scope. Today, the museum preserves and presents the borderland heritage of South Texas and Northeastern Mexico through its permanent collection and the Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives and exhibits spanning prehistory through the 20th century. For more information about MOSTHistory, including becoming a FRIEND, visit MOSTHistory.org, like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter, find on Google+ or call +1-956-383-6911.