The Museum of South Texas History will host a Sunday Speaker Series Online presentation, “Adela Sloss-Vento of San Juan and Edinburg: Major Tejana Civil Rights Activist and Feminist, 1927-1990,” with Cynthia Orozco at 2 p.m. July 12 on Facebook Live.

Orozco wrote the first comprehensive biography titled, “Agent of Change: Adela Sloss-Vento, Mexican American Civil Rights Activist and Texas Feminist.” Adela Sloss-Vento is considered a formidable civil rights activist and feminist, whose grassroots organizing in Texas made her an influential voice in the fight for equal rights for Mexican Americans.

Sloss-Vento graduated from PSJA High School in 1927. She was integral in the founding and formation of LULAC. She observed and documented injustices against Mexican Americans and wrote letters to English and Spanish language newspapers across the state including the Valley Morning Star and Brownsville Herald. After WWII, Sloss-Vento served as the Hidalgo County Jail prison matron until 1959 and did so with her husband who served as prison guard.

Orozco is a professor of history and humanities at Eastern New Mexico University, Ruidoso. She is the author of “No Mexicans, Women or Dogs Allowed, the Rise of the Mexican American Civil Rights Movement” and the forthcoming “Pioneer of Mexican-American Civil Rights: Alonso S. Perales.”

The presentation will be streamed at facebook.com/MOSTHistory/live. Guests are encouraged to interact with the presenter by posting questions and comments on the live chat. The video will also be recorded and posted for public access on the Museum’s Facebook page and website at www.mosthistory.org.

This program is made possible by the generous support from the Carmen C. Guerra Endowment. Mrs. Guerra was committed to educational causes in the Rio Grande Valley. This named endowment was created by her family to honor her memory and to continue providing educational opportunities for the community.

About Museum of South Texas History
The Museum of South Texas History is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. It is located downtown Edinburg at 200 North Closner Boulevard on the Hidalgo County Courthouse square. Hours of operation are Sunday 1 p.m.–5 p.m. Sunday and Tuesday-Saturday 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Founded in 1967 as the Hidalgo County Historical Museum in the 1910 Hidalgo County Jail, the museum has grown over the decades through a series of expansions to occupy a full city block. In 2003, following the completion of a 22,500 square foot expansion, the museum was renamed the Museum of South Texas History to better reflect its regional scope. Today, the museum preserves and presents the borderland heritage of South Texas and Northeastern Mexico through its permanent collection and the Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives and exhibits spanning prehistory through the 20th century. For more information about MOSTHistory, including becoming a FRIEND, visit MOSTHistory.org, like us on Facebook and Instagram, follow on Twitter, find on YouTube or call +1-956-383-6911.