People who descend from families of Burgos, Tamaulipas, and of those who currently reside in the Rio Grande Valley are welcome to attend the Sunday Speaker Series presentation, “The Book of Marriages of the Church of Our Lady from Loreto de Burgos: 1750 – 1860,” featuring Carlos Martin Herrera de la Garza Sunday, May 6, at 2 p.m.
In this presentation, which will be given in Spanish, de la Garza will talk about the following last names: Adame, Balli, Cano, Flores, Garza, Gonzalez, Guillén, Gutierrez, Palacios, Trevino and Zuniga. He will also provide information about methods and construction of the family trees of the last names mentioned. Much of his research included reviewing registered marriage licenses in Burgos, Tamaulipas.
De la Garza is a faculty member at Universidad Autonoma de Tamaulipas (Autonomous University of Tamaulipas) in Ciudad Victoria, Tamaulipas, Mexico. His courses include teaching of scientific investigations and political theories. Since 1997, de la Garza has been researching the origins of family last names, which encompass Coahuila, Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas and South Texas.
Sunday Speaker Series is included in the fee for regular museum admission. FRIENDS of the MOSTHistory are admitted free as a benefit of FRIENDship.
This program is made possible with generous support from the Carmen C. Guerra Endowment. Mrs. Guerra was deeply committed to supporting educational opportunities in the Rio Grande Valley. This named endowment was created at the museum by her family to honor her memory and to continue her commitment to providing opportunities for education to the community.
About Museum of South Texas History
The Museum of South Texas History is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. It is located in downtown Edinburg at 200 North Closner Boulevard on the Hidalgo County Courthouse square. Hours of operation are from 1 p.m.–5 p.m. Sunday and 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Tuesday–Saturday. Founded in 1967 as the Hidalgo County Historical Museum in the 1910 Hidalgo County Jail, the museum has grown over the decades through a series of expansions to occupy a full city block. In 2003, following the completion of a 22,500 square foot expansion, the museum was renamed the Museum of South Texas History to better reflect its regional scope. Today, the museum preserves and presents the borderland heritage of South Texas and Northeastern Mexico through its permanent collection and the Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives and exhibits spanning prehistory through the 20th century. For more information about MOSTHistory, including becoming a FRIEND, visit MOSTHistory.org, like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter, find on Google+ or call +1-956-383-6911.