The great, great grandson of Henry Clay Davis, a famous Texas Ranger, will present about his ancestor during the Sunday Speaker Series program, “The Legendary Henry Clay Davis in Early Texas,” at the Museum of South Texas History Feb. 9 at 2 p.m.
Michael “Mike” Davis is the great, great grandson of Henry Clay Davis. He created a booklet with the goal of telling his ancestor’s story to his family, and other history enthusiasts. Using Dick D. Heller Jr.’s manuscript, “The Story of Henry Clay Davis,” Mike Davis will discuss the life of the former Texas ranger, frontier fighter, enterprising merchant, state senator, brigadier general and founder of Davis Landing, a docking station for steamboats on the Rio Grande. In addition to the landing, Henry Clay Davis established barracks called Camp Ringgold, later named Fort Ringgold, in 1848. Henry Clay Davis is buried at the Rio Grande City Downtown Historic Cemetery.
Mike Davis, a Mission resident, graduated from Texas Women’s University-Denton/Houston in 1980, and is now a retired Licensed Physical Therapist.
Sunday Speaker Series is included in the fee for regular museum admission. FRIENDS of MOSTHistory are admitted free as a benefit of FRIENDship and must present their FRIENDship card at the Admissions Desk.
This program is made possible with generous support from the Carmen C. Guerra Endowment. Mrs. Guerra was deeply committed to supporting educational opportunities in the Rio Grande Valley. This named endowment was created at the museum by her family to honor her memory and to continue her commitment to providing opportunities for education to the community.
About Museum of South Texas History
The Museum of South Texas History is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. It is located downtown Edinburg at 200 North Closner Boulevard on the Hidalgo County Courthouse square. Hours of operation are Sunday 1 p.m.–5 p.m. Sunday and Tuesday-Saturday 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Founded in 1967 as the Hidalgo County Historical Museum in the 1910 Hidalgo County Jail, the museum has grown over the decades through a series of expansions to occupy a full city block. In 2003, following the completion of a 22,500 square foot expansion, the museum was renamed the Museum of South Texas History to better reflect its regional scope. Today, the museum preserves and presents the borderland heritage of South Texas and Northeastern Mexico through its permanent collection and the Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives and exhibits spanning prehistory through the 20th century. For more information about MOSTHistory, including becoming a FRIEND, visit MOSTHistory.org, like us on Facebook and Instagram, follow on Twitter, find on YouTube or call +1-956-383-6911.