Presenting for the first time at the Museum of South Texas History is Daniel García, who will present “The Valley’s 1933 Labor Day Hurricane and WWII” during the Sunday Speaker Series Nov. 24 at 2 p.m.
While several hurricanes have hit the Rio Grande Valley, the one that came in 1933 caused the most damage in terms of human life and suffering, with 40 dead and 500 injured. The economic damage of about $17 million ($334 million in today’s money) was also significant, given that the Valley was trying to deal with the Great Depression.
This presentation will feature a chronicle of the events surrounding Hurricane No. 11, told through the interweaved story of a San Benito-based American family of Japanese descent—the Tanamachis.
García, also known as “The Poet Mariachi,” is the author of “Cenzontle/Mockingbird (YA Edition): Songs of Empowerment.” He is a founder of the Gloria Anzaldúa Legacy Project and the Rio Grande Valley International Poetry Festival. García earned a master’s of fine arts in Creative Writing and teaches at La Joya Early College High School. He is a Navy veteran and a former journalist at Valley Morning Star.
Sunday Speaker Series is included in the fee for regular museum admission. FRIENDS of MOSTHistory are admitted free as a benefit of FRIENDship and must present their FRIENDship card at the Admissions Desk.
This program is made possible with generous support from the Carmen C. Guerra Endowment. Mrs. Guerra was deeply committed to supporting educational opportunities in the Rio Grande Valley. This named endowment was created at the museum by her family to honor her memory and to continue her commitment to providing opportunities for education to the community.
About Museum of South Texas History
The Museum of South Texas History is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. It is located in downtown Edinburg at 200 North Closner Boulevard on the Hidalgo County Courthouse square. Hours of operation are from 1 p.m.–5 p.m. Sunday and 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Tuesday–Saturday. Founded in 1967 as the Hidalgo County Historical Museum in the 1910 Hidalgo County Jail, the museum has grown over the decades through a series of expansions to occupy a full city block. In 2003, following the completion of a 22,500 square foot expansion, the museum was renamed the Museum of South Texas History to better reflect its regional scope. Today, the museum preserves and presents the borderland heritage of South Texas and Northeastern Mexico through its permanent collection and the Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives and exhibits spanning prehistory through the 20th century. For more information about MOSTHistory, including becoming a FRIEND, visit MOSTHistory.org, like us on Facebook and Instagram, follow on Twitter, find on YouTube or call +1-956-383-6911.