The Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives (or MHMMA)
Though the museum has reopened for business, the Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives will remain closed until further notice. If you have a research request please contact the archivist, and staff will do their best to fulfill your request through alternative means.
The Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives (MHMMA) is home to thousands of photographs and historical documents of South Texas. These documents and other materials are available for research by appointment only. Reproductions of photographs are available for purchase (certain terms apply).
To schedule an appointment at the MHMMA, please contact:
Archivist: Kelly Francis-Love
Office Phone: +1-956-383-6911
Office Hours: 8 a.m. – Noon & 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Reading Room Hours: Tuesday – Friday, 10 a.m. – Noon & 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. (Appointments are required and only available during the posted days and times)
Guidelines for Archives Tours
The archives staff is happy to provide tours of our collection. Due to limited staffing, tours are available only upon request to those following the guidelines listed below. If you are interested in scheduling a tour please contact archives staff at 956-383-6911 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tours must be scheduled in advance and are only available at the convenience of archives staff
- The professor is responsible for coordinating the tour. This includes but is not limited to:
- Making sure class members are at the museum on time
- If there is a specific topic you would like to have covered during the tour, archives staff must be notified in advance
- If students are not able to attend the tour, offering an alternative learning experience such as an online archives tour, available through the National Archives (https://www.archives.gov/), Library of Congress (https://www.loc.gov/), and the Texas Digital Archive (https://tsl.access.preservica.com/)
- Due to limited space and staffing, we can only accommodate groups of 5-15 students
- Please be on time for your appointment. We reserve the right to cancel and reschedule your tour if your group is more than 15 min late.
- Please keep in mind that the museum closes promptly at 5 p.m., so your group must be out of the museum by closing time.
For MHMMA photos click here: Photo Collection Subject Index
For a photograph order form click here: Photograph Order Form
For a list of the available Archive books for research click here: Publications List (To Be Updated Later)
For a list of the available surnames click here: Genealogy List