The Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives (or MHMMA)
The Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives (MHMMA) is home to thousands of photographs and historical documents of South Texas. These documents and other materials are available for research by appointment only. Reproductions of photographs are available for purchase (certain terms apply).
To schedule an appointment at the MHMMA, please contact:
Archivist: Kelly Francis-Love
Office Phone: +1-956-383-6911
Office Hours: 8 a.m. – Noon & 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Reading Room Hours: Tuesday – Friday, 10 a.m. – Noon & 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.
Guidelines for Archives Tours
The archives staff is happy to provide tours of our collection. Due to limited staffing, tours are available only upon request to those following the guidelines listed below. If you are interested in scheduling a tour please contact archives staff at 956-383-6911 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tours must be scheduled in advance and are only available at the convenience of archives staff
- The professor is responsible for coordinating the tour. This includes but is not limited to:
- Making sure class members are at the museum on time
- If there is a specific topic you would like to have covered during the tour, archives staff must be notified in advance
- If students are not able to attend the tour, offering an alternative learning experience such as an online archives tour, available through the National Archives (https://www.archives.gov/), Library of Congress (https://www.loc.gov/), and the Texas Digital Archive (https://tsl.access.preservica.com/)
- Due to limited space and staffing, we can only accommodate groups of 5-15 students
- Please be on time for your appointment. We reserve the right to cancel and reschedule your tour if your group is more than 15 min late.
- Please keep in mind that the museum closes promptly at 5 p.m., so your group must be out of the museum by closing time.
Special Closure Times
Due to renovation to the 1910 Jail, the archives offices will be moved from the usual quarters. The space to be occupied during renovation will be very small causing limitations to services over the next year. Please call ahead to make sure services and Reading Room hours are available.
For patrons unable to delay their research (deadline issues), archives staff will do what they can to help. However, the construction schedule is not in the hands of the archives staff. Therefore, if an appointment with a patron is made, there is possibility that the appointment will be canceled and rescheduled for another time.
Here is a list of services that will provided (these limitations also apply to those patrons whose project is deadline driven):
- Appointments will need to be made at least 48 hours in advance
- Two boxes of documents or four books will be pulled for a patron per day
- Twenty photo subject index folders will be pulled for a patron per day
- Photoduplication will be provided as 300 dpi scans (either .jpg or .tiff), no prints
We are sorry for any inconvenience the situation may cause and ask for your patience during this time. If you have any questions, please contact Kelly Francis-Love.
The 1910 Jail is of great historical and cultural value to the region, and we hope the renovations will help it last another one hundred years!
For MHMMA photos click here: Photo Collection Subject Index
For a photograph order form click here: Photograph Order Form
For a list of the available Archive books for research click here: Publications List (To Be Updated Later)
For a list of the available surnames click here: Genealogy List