The Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives (or MHMMA)
Due to COVID-19, the Museum of South Texas History will be temporarily closing its doors. The museum will carefully monitor developments and will reopen as soon as possible. The museum values the public trust and will take steps to ensure the public welfare.
Museum services suspended until further notice:
- Research in the Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives
- Reading Room appointments including tours of the archives
The Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives (MHMMA) is home to thousands of photographs and historical documents of South Texas. These documents and other materials are available for research by appointment only. Reproductions of photographs are available for purchase (certain terms apply).
To schedule an appointment at the MHMMA, please contact:
Archivist: Kelly Francis-Love
Office Phone: +1-956-383-6911
Office Hours: 8 a.m. – Noon & 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Reading Room Hours: Tuesday – Friday, 10 a.m. – Noon & 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. (Appointments are required and only available during the posted days and times)
Guidelines for Archives Tours
The archives staff is happy to provide tours of our collection. Due to limited staffing, tours are available only upon request to those following the guidelines listed below. If you are interested in scheduling a tour please contact archives staff at 956-383-6911 or email email@example.com.
- Tours must be scheduled in advance and are only available at the convenience of archives staff
- The professor is responsible for coordinating the tour. This includes but is not limited to:
- Making sure class members are at the museum on time
- If there is a specific topic you would like to have covered during the tour, archives staff must be notified in advance
- If students are not able to attend the tour, offering an alternative learning experience such as an online archives tour, available through the National Archives (https://www.archives.gov/), Library of Congress (https://www.loc.gov/), and the Texas Digital Archive (https://tsl.access.preservica.com/)
- Due to limited space and staffing, we can only accommodate groups of 5-15 students
- Please be on time for your appointment. We reserve the right to cancel and reschedule your tour if your group is more than 15 min late.
- Please keep in mind that the museum closes promptly at 5 p.m., so your group must be out of the museum by closing time.
For MHMMA photos click here: Photo Collection Subject Index
For a photograph order form click here: Photograph Order Form
For a list of the available Archive books for research click here: Publications List (To Be Updated Later)
For a list of the available surnames click here: Genealogy List